Thursday, August 5, 2010

Anticipation and Nerves

Reality has set in that I am climbing one of the highest peaks in North America on Saturday. Part of me wants to say I'm a bad ass but then the other part of me wants to be really honest and say I'm scared out of my mind. I don't know if I have heard more about deaths on the mountain this year than normal because I am climbing, or if this year is just averaging high on the death toll.

Nearly every weekend since climbing season officially began, someone has either died, gotten lost, hit by an avalanche or some other tragedy. I am realizing like I did with the ocean last year, that this is God's playground. We are only here as visitors and this playground is harsh.
We are meant to cooperate as best we can with what the environment decides to give us that day.

Last October I went surfing, and it wasn't anything new, I've been several times before. But this time the swells were overhead and I was really sick with a pretty bad cold. Still I wanted to go so bad I just bucked up and went. I found myself caught in a set of waves that were about 13 feet crashing into massively large, jagged boulders. It was nothing short of a miracle that I came out alive. My friend who was with me was so scared for me, he looked like a ghost when he finally got into shore to make sure I didn't get crucified by the ruthless waves.

Needless to say I haven't gone surfing since, but I think maybe this next month I might give it a whirl again on a small day.

Now I am attempting to summit a 14,500 mountain. This is a time to not be stupid, to take everything into account, and to not try to do something if the conditions aren't giving us the go ahead.

Just last week a very experienced climber, who was actually a guide, fell into a crevasse and died. They just pulled his body out two days ago.

Because I know this is a risk and though I feel like things are going to be fine. Please keep us all in your prayers this weekend. We start ascending early morning on Saturday, we Summit in the middle of the night early Monday morning, and descend right after. The weather report isn't amazing, so please be praying for that to somehow miraculously turn around.
It's our first week since June with weather in the mid 60's and rainy. Seems a bit unusual.

I am also asking for prayer that this be a time to really think and get things straight with myself. I will have a lot of time to be meditating on life and everything that has come with that as of late. I want this to be a time where I feel like I can finally take at least one step forward.

I know this is totally morbid, but if anything happens while we are up there, love you all lots. (even though like 2 people read this, spread the word!) :)

No comments: